Thursday, May 17, 2007

The Goalie



Goalies are a special breed. At least that is what I've been told. So why is it that I have 2?!! Goalies are either the hero or the goat - there is no middle ground.

Colin has played goal since forever. He is both technically competent (or proficient - he is in the NTC program) and mentally competent. He can accept his strengths and weaknesses, and both do what is necessary to finish the game and accept his own shortcomings. I have come to accept him as goalie, and look forward to him playing the position. I used to dread games where he played goal - partly because it is such an unforgiving position- now I look forward to that spectacular save.

So, the other night, Colin played striker for his team.

He has not really had this opportunity since U14. I was once again the uncomfortable parent, watching him play a position that he hasn't trained for in years. Bu it was kind of fun. and he did alright.

He is at a scouting tournament in Tacoma right now. I hope that he plays goal. And I hope he impresses he right person by doing so. He has never had any other passion. He has never wavered from the goal of continuing to play soccer. He has worked hard to get where he is, and shown great dedication. I hope that this effort pays off for him.

No comments: